We receive information about you from various sources, including: (i) if you register for the Site and the Services, through your user account on the Services (your “Account”); (ii) your use of the Services generally; and (iii) from various third party websites and other services. All defined terms not defined herein shall have the meaning ascribed to them in the Terms of Service, available at www.getempact.com.
The Services are hosted and operated in the United States through Empact and certain of our service providers. By using the Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data you provide to us will be hosted on United States servers, and you authorize Empact to transfer, store and process your information to and in the United States. Please see below for more details.
Note that we may also process Personal Data of our Platform Licensees’ and other users’ own customers, end users, or employees in connection with our provision of the Services, in which case we are the processor of Personal Data for purposes of the GDPR. If we are the processor of your Personal Data (i.e., not the controller) for purposes of the GDPR, please contact the controller of your Personal Data (i.e., the user or Platform Licensee providing the Community or other offering in connection with which you provided your Personal Data) in the first instance to address your rights with respect to such data.
What Personal Data does Empact Collect From You?
We collect Personal Data about you when you provide such information directly to us, when third parties such as our business partners or service providers provide us with Personal Data about you, or when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Services.
You agree that you shall notprovide to us, or otherwise post or otherwise make available through the Services, any of the following information, or encourage any other users to do so:
· Personal Data revealing your, or any other individual’s, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership;
· Personal Data that constitutes genetic data, biometric data, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person's sex life or sexual orientation; and
· Personal Data relating to your, or any other individual’s criminal convictions and offences (such data, collectively, “Restricted Data”).
Information we collect directly from you: We receive Personal Data directly from you when you provide us with such Personal Data, including without limitation the following:
· Account information, including your:
o first and last name,
o email address,
o telephone number,
o resident country,
o preferred language,
o occupation and title,
o company or association or other institution, and
o any Personal Data about yourself that you choose to include in your biography description.
· Any Personal Data contained in User Content that you post or make available on or through the Services.
· Any Personal Data you provide when you communicate with us or our customer service representatives.
Please do not include any Restricted Data in information that you provide us, including without limitation in your biography description or in any User Content.
If applicable, in order to collect payments on your behalf, and provide payments to you, we, using Stripe as a third-party payment processor, collect payment information from you, your attendees and customers, your vendors, and other parties to whom we provide payments on your behalf and from whom we collect payments on your behalf. This information is used solely to collect and provide payments related to the Services, and is only stored by Stripe, not by us. You should review the terms of service and privacy policies of Stripe, available at https://stripe.com/us/ssa.
Information we receive from third party sources: We have built services from some third parties into the Site, and those third parties provide us with Personal Data about you, such as the following:
· Information from our advertising partners: We receive information about you from some of our service providers who assist us with marketing or promotional services related to how you interact with our Site and Services. For more information, please see below.
Information we automatically collect when you use our Services: Some Personal Data is automatically collected when you use our Services, such as the following:
· IP address,
· Device-specific information if you access the Services using a mobile device, such as unique device identifiers, network information and hardware model,
· Web browser information,
· Operating system information,
· Pages you visit and links you click on the Services,
· Browsing history, including the page referring you to the Services and/or the page you visit when you exit the Services,
· Cookies and other tracking technologies (see below for more information), and
· Log data (e.g. access times, hardware and software information) (collectively, “Usage Data”).
Please note that when you access or use the Services, we use information from your web browser, including your IP address and your device's settings and unique identifiers, to determine your general location, based on our legitimate business interests in reliably and accurately providing you with Services and information that apply to you, and in learning more about where the Services are being accessed or used.
Additional Information about Cookies:
Cookies can either be “session Cookies” or “persistent Cookies”. Session Cookies are temporary Cookies that are stored on your device while you are visiting our Site or using our Services, whereas “persistent Cookies” are stored on your device for a period of time after you leave our Site or Services. The length of time a persistent Cookie stays on your device varies from Cookie to Cookie. We use persistent Cookies to store your preferences so that they are available for the next visit, and to keep a more accurate account of how often you visit our Services, how often you return, how your use of the Services may vary over time. We also use persistent Cookies to measure the effectiveness of advertising efforts. Through these Cookies, we may collect information about your online activity after you leave our Services. Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” or “DNT” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites, and web applications, and services that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites. Because we collect browsing and persistent identifier data, the Services do not support Do Not Track requests at this time, which means that we may collect information about your online activity both while you are using the Services and after you leave our properties. Also, we generally do not require third parties collecting information on our websites and online services to respond to these technologies.
Some Cookies are placed by a third party on your device and may provide information to us and third parties about your browsing habits (such as your visits to our Site or Services, the pages you have visited and the links and advertisements you have clicked). These Cookies can be used to determine whether certain third party services are being used, to identify your interests, to retarget advertisements to you and to serve advertisements to you that we or others believe are relevant to you. We do not control third party Cookies.
We use the following types of Cookies:
· Essential Cookies. Essential Cookies that are required for providing you with features or services that you have requested. For example, certain Cookies enable you to log into secure areas of our Site or Services. Disabling these Cookies may make certain features and services unavailable.
· Functionality Cookies. Functional Cookies are used to record your choices and settings regarding our Services, maintain your preferences over time and recognize you when you return to our Services. These Cookies help us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name, and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
· Retargeting/Advertising Cookies. Retargeting/Advertising Cookies collect data about your online activity and identify your interests so that we can provide advertising that we believe is relevant to you. For more information about this, please see the section below titled “Additional information about interest-based advertisements.”
You can decide whether or not to accept Cookies. One way you can do this is through your internet browser’s settings. Most browsers have an option for turning off the Cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new Cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allow you to decide on acceptance of each new Cookie in a variety of ways. You can also delete all Cookies that are already on your computer. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some Services and functionalities may not work.
To explore what Cookie settings are available to you, look in the “preferences” or “options” section of your browser’s menu. To find our more information about Cookies, including information about how to manage and delete Cookies, please visit https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/or http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
Additional information about interest-based advertisements:
· We may serve advertisements, and also allow third party ad networks, including third party ad servers, ad agencies, ad technology vendors and research firms, to serve advertisements through the Services. These advertisements may be targeted to users who fit certain general profile categories or display certain preferences or behaviors (“Interest-Based Ads”). Information for Internet-Based Ads (including Personal Data) may be provided to us by you, or derived from the usage patterns of particular users on the Services and/or services of Third Parties. Such information may be gathered through tracking users’ activities across time and unaffiliated properties. To accomplish this, we or our service providers may deliver Cookies, including a file (known as a “web beacon”) from an ad network to you through the Services. Web beacons allow ad networks to provide anonymized, aggregated auditing, research and reporting for us and for advertisers. Web beacons also enable ad networks to serve targeted advertisements to you when you visit other websites. Web beacons allow ad networks to view, edit or set their own Cookies on your browser, just as if you had requested a web page from their site.
· Through the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) and Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”), several media and marketing associations have developed an industry self-regulatory program to give consumers a better understanding of and greater control over ads that are customized based on their online behavior across different websites. To make choices about Interest-Based Ads from participating third parties, including to opt out of receiving behaviorally targeted advertisements from participating organizations, please visit the DAA’s or NAI’s consumer opt out pages, which are located at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/or www.aboutads.info/choices. Users in the European Union should visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance’s user information website http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/.
How Do We Use Your Personal Data?
We process Personal Data to operate, maintain, improve, understand and personalize our Services. For example, we use Personal Data to:
· Verify your identity and establish your Account
· Protect against or deter fraudulent, illegal or harmful actions
· Communicate with you about the Services, including sending you updates, emails, newsletters and other information that we believe may be of interest to you.
· Contact you about Service announcements, updates or offers
· Personalize website content and communications based on your preferences
· Provide support and assistance for the Services
· Discover others who might be interested in the Services, and identify trends and other statistical information that may be useful to our business
· Comply with our legal or contractual obligations
· Respond to user inquiries
· Fulfill user requests
· Resolve disputes
· Serve advertisements to you on the Services and/or on other websites (or other media channels and applications), to create, tailor, deliver and study the effectiveness of advertising and promotional material both on and off of the Services, and to perform other analytics (as described above).
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases for processing include consent, contractual necessity and our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below.
· Contractual Necessity: We process the following categories of Personal Data as a matter of “contractual necessity,” meaning that we need to process the data to perform under our Terms of Service with you, which enables us to provide you with the Services. When we process data due to contractual necessity, failure to provide such Personal Data will result in your inability to use some or all portions of the Services that require such data.
o Account information that you provide us, such as your first and last name, email address and telephone number.
o User Content that you choose to post or make available through the Services (which can include Personal Data if you include Personal Data in such content).
· Legitimate Interest: We process the following categories of Personal Data when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties.
o Account information that you provide us.
o User Content that you choose to post or make publicly available through the Services (which can include Personal Data if you include Personal Data in such content).
o Usage Data.
Examples of these legitimate interests include:
o Protection from fraud or security threats
o Operation, maintenance and improvement of our business, products and services
o Marketing of our products and services, directly to you and to others
o Provision of customer support
o Compliance with legal obligations
o Completion of corporate transactions
· Consent: In some cases, we process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
· Other Processing Grounds: From time to time we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
How and With Whom Do We Share Your Data?
· Analytics service providers, such as Google Analytics, Segment, and Rollbar. To restrict Google Analytics’ handling of your information, you may install theGoogle Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on.
· Hosting service providers, which currently are Amazon Web Services, Heroku, and Vimeo.
· Email providers, which currently includes MailChimp, Maindrill, and Google (Gmail).
· Cloud communication service providers, which currently include Twilio.
· Payment processor, which is currently Stripe.
· Fraud prevention service providers.
· Marketing service providers.
· Staff augmentation and contract personnel.
We also share Personal Data when necessary to complete a transaction initiated or authorized by you or provide you with a product or service you have requested. In addition to those set forth above, these parties also include:
· Other users, including our Platform Licensees (where you post information publicly or as otherwise necessary to effect a transaction initiated or authorized by you through the Services)
· Social media services (if you interact with them through your use of the Services)
· Third party business partners who you access through the Services, including vendors
· Other parties authorized by you
We also share Personal Data when we believe it is necessary to:
· Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies.
· Protect us, our business or our users, for example to enforce our Terms of Service, prevent spam or other unwanted communications and investigate or protect against fraud. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
· Maintain the security of our products and services.
As part of the Services, you will receive from Empact email, text messages, and other communications. You acknowledge and agree that by availing yourself of the Services, you allow Empact to send you email and other communication that it determines in its sole discretion relate to your use of the Services.
Last, we share Personal Data with our affiliates or other members of our corporate affiliate UTW82 For Good, Inc. We also share information with third parties when you give us consent to do so. Furthermore, if we choose to buy or sell assets, user information is typically one of the transferred business assets. Moreover, if we, or substantially all of our assets, were acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party, and we would share Personal Data with the party that is acquiring our assets. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your Personal Data as set forth in this policy.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data?
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open Account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you Services, or until you contact us to request deletion (see below). In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
What Security Measures Do We Use?
We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate technical and organizational measures based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity.
You need to prevent unauthorized access to your Account and Personal Data by selecting and protecting (and periodically updating) your password appropriately and limiting access to your device and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your Account.
We understand the importance of the security of the information we collect, but we cannot promise that our security measures will eliminate security risks or avoid security breaches. However, Empact cannot guarantee the security of any Account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
Do We Store the Personal Data of Children?
As noted in the Terms of Service accessible at www.getempact.com, we do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 16. If you are under 16, please do not attempt to register for the Services or send any Personal Data about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under age 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 may have provided us Personal Data, please contact us at [link].
[What Choices Do I Have With Respect to My Data?
We may offer self-serve options for updating your Account information and indicating your Service preferences. To learn about these, please visit Dashboard >> Edit Profile in your Account settings.
You also may request deletion of your Account as described below.
Please note that removal and deletion options we may offer will not remove content or information that has been stored, shared or re-posted by other users and other third parties.
What Do Users in the European Union Need to Know?
Rights Regarding Your Personal Data:
By law, users in the European Union, United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland have certain rights with respect to their Personal Data, including those set forth below. For more information about these rights, or to submit a request, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need to you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
· Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data. You can also access certain components of your Personal Data by going to My Account and reviewing your posts to the platform.
· Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data by emailing email@example.com. You can correct or supplement your Account information directly by visiting Dashboard >> Edit Profile in your Account settings.
· Erasure: You can request that we erase your Account from our systems. To request us to delete your Account, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from the email address we have on file for your Account. We reserve the right to permanently erase your Account information from our systems immediately or promptly after we receive the request, subject only to legal requirements or appropriate exceptions under applicable law. (We also reserve the right to delete Accounts on our own initiative.) Please note that Account deletion may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted on or submitted to the Services, and will not remove content or information that has been stored, shared or re-posted by other users and other third parties.
· Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services. You may withdraw your consent by emailing email@example.com.
· Portability: You can ask for a copy of certain of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
· Objection: You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes, such as for direct marketing purposes.
· Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data by contacting us at email@example.com.
· Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about our practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
Transfers of Personal Data
The Services are hosted and operated in the United States (“U.S.”) through Empact and its service providers, and if you do not reside in the U.S., laws in the U.S. may differ from the laws where you reside. By using the Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to Empact in the U.S. and will be hosted on U.S. servers, and you authorize Empact to transfer, store and process your information to and in the U.S., and possibly other countries, as necessary to perform or duties in providing you with the Services. Additionally, you understand that your Personal Data may be processed in countries (including the United States) where laws regarding processing Personal Information may be less stringent than in your country. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
What If You Have Questions Regarding Your Personal Data?
228 Park Avenue South, #62856
New York, NY 10003